A FREE TOOL FOR TEACHING
READING & SPELLING
Written by THRIVE Program Teacher, Tyson Schoeber • Updated: 04-20-2016
Most kids with dyslexia (and other forms of LD) need to be taught to read, spell and write in a systematic, multisensory way. This page introduces you to the Orton Gillingham-Inspired Drill Cards that we've created to help fill that need — cards that we make available for free to any teacher, tutor or parent who can use them.
The complete set includes about 175 double-sided, full color index cards — each one highlighting a different letter, syllable or principle, including:
- Every letter of the alphabet (lower case and capitals).
- All of the vowel teams (such as ai, au, ay, ea, eu, ie, oa, and oi).
- More than 24 digraphs (ch, sh, wh) and trigraphs (ing, igh, dge).
- All of the consonant+le syllables (such as ble, cle, tle and stle).
- Dozens of additional cards for the silent-e rule, r-controlled sounds (ar, or, ur and air) and other special patterns (incl. olt, tion, old, ild).
- Many different prefixes (dis, pre, un) and suffixes (tion, ify, ate, ize) plus a few cards with only the sky-grass-dirt background so you can make up cards for other patterns, too.
The cards use an easy-to-learn cursive script and they can be used in many different ways. (Details, examples and videos to be posted soon!)
The back sides of the cards include keywords, common sounds, and lots of examples showing how these sounds are used in other common words.
In providing these cards for free, our hope is that they will help many children to "thrive" in school — just as they've already been doing for years in our program.